Tuesday, February 22, 2005

In love

I don't know if this post is appropriate for the blog - I want it to give a glimpse of what Jordan is like - but I suppose that since I'm in Jordan, it counts. Either way...

I've fallen in love with music again.

Its true. I don't even know if I fell out of love with it. But, I've definitely "discovered" it again, in a sense. Prior to last night, I hadn't "listened to music" (aside from brief stints with Arab radio*, or faint, environmental exposure to it) since on the plane on Monday (two weeks ago). So, last night, while I was writing, I popped on my headphones and queued up some tunes (Funeral by The Arcade Fire, Mirror by The Rapture, and Progress by Rx Bandits) on my MP3 player, and it was awesome. Literally, it was like a sonic orgasm in my ears or something.

I've listened to all of these albums NUMEROUS times (Progress to the point where I had to NOT listen to it for like a year) and, for the most part, I know them forward and backward, but I was astonished. Every little nuance came out, each instrument and voice was distinct; every song had a powerful urgency and vigor to it that screamed emotion. I mean, it didn't make me cry or anything (not that it would matter if it did... grown men cry, too), but it was really neat.

I know about recommendations to take a break from listening to songs, especially when recording/mastering music, to give your ears a rest, but I've never really been able to REALLY do it. Especially at school, I'm always listening to music when I'm in my room, or hanging out in other peoples' rooms. So, I guess I'd just become somewhat desensitized to hearing music.

Anyways, it's cool. I'd recommend trying something similar to anyone, at least just to give it a shot. Take like a week or two off from listening to music. Then, pop in some epic tunes and rock it hard.

* I'm really going to try to find some sweet Arabic music. There are a few "music" stores in Amman (mostly just the typical pop stuff, ya know...) and any hopes to find good "rock music" should be disregarded immediately. But... there is some really sweet stuff that some musicians are doing with dance-type music mixed with traditional Arabic-style music, which I'll have to find and snatch up. Also, we're getting a satellite dish within a few days, which will have tons of music channels (and, if we're lucky, porn [kidding...]), which will be sweet.

Soon here I'm going to have some FANTASTIC pictures. I just came up with an awesome idea, but its a surprise. Are you excited? (It might be best not to get too excited... but it will be cool).