Thursday, April 14, 2005

Aspects of Life as a Jordanian: Islamic Prayer

Over 90% of Jordanians are Muslim, making Islam a major part of Jordanian life. This is most evident in the daily prayer calls (adhan - أَذَان ) that ring throughout the country, resonating from the Mosques out into the towns and villages and echoing through the hills [1]. It is inescapable.

Alllllah-u Akhbar.
Prayer (salat) is the Second Pillar of Islam (of five). As a basic cornerstone of faith, Muslims are called to prayer “five times throughout the day; at daybreak, noon, mid-afternoon, sunset, and evening” (Esposito 2002). The times are not dictated by the Qur’an – they were established by the prophet Muhammed – and vary from location to location and on the time of year, but generally fit the designated times (its dependent on the location of the sun). For example, today in Mu’tah, prayer reminders are occurring at (approx.) 4:45am, 12:40pm, 4:15pm, 7:05pm and 8:25pm.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Mosque, Mu’tah University
The prayer is called from the minaret (tower) of the Mosque, and is sung by the muadhan. Traditionally, the muadhan would amplify his voice, singing from atop the minaret to let it ring throughout the town. But today most Mosques are aided by loudspeakers and amplifiers to reach a broader area and, I’d imagine, save the muadhan’s voice.

For many Muslims, the prayer calls are a simple reminder of God in their daily life. As John Esposito (2002) so eloquently says, “These reminders throughout the day help to keep believers mindful of God in the midst of everyday concerns about work and family with all their attractions and distractions. It strengthens the conscience, reaffirms total dependence on God, and puts worldly concerns within the perspective of death, the last judgment, and the afterlife.”

Humd-ullil’lah.
At the time of the adhan, or as soon as feasibly possible, Muslims are invited to recite verses from the Qur’an in prayer. This is done facing Mecca (probably to the East for most of you) and while performing a “sequence of movements: standing, bowing, kneeling, touching the ground with one's forehead, and sitting” (Esposito 2002). This ritual of movement is important, not only as a sign of reverence, concentration and submission [2], but also as a daily exercise to maintain flexibility and ensure proper bodily function (exercising the mind, body and soul – similar to yoga in some Eastern religions). Of course, the most preferable place to do this is in a Mosque, but it can be done nearly anywhere [3].

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
The Mosque at Mu’tah University
It is a common site, often in the more rural villages but also elsewhere, to see Muslims praying in public. The most interesting experience that I’ve had relating to the prayer calls is seeing people stopping their cars along the side of the highway to lay out their rug and pray. On one occasion, when we stopped at a rural, locally owned dairy shop [4], I had the opportunity to see an older man praying by the entrance. It was really neat. Also, one can occasionally see laborers (builders, roadworkers, etc.) taking a break from their work to pray.

For many newcomers, it is hard to believe that the calls are heard in nearly every inhabited area in the region. Initially, especially for non-Muslims, they could easily be considered a disturbance or nuisance (prayer calls at 5am?! Are you serious?). But, over time, the individual can incorporate the prayer calls into their daily life. The expression and character in the muadhan’s voice is so fluently musical that, as an element of the local environment, it can be appreciated, enjoyed and even anticipated as part of life's daily rhythm. Each muadhan has their own unique voice and phrasing, which varies from region to region and even from Mosque to Mosque, but the message is always the same:

An audio clip that I made of the adhan from the Mosque at Mu’tah University, about a block from our home (14.04.05).
[download mp3] [stream mp3] 4.80 MB

The adhan, in English, an English transliteration and Arabic:
God is Greatest, God is Greatest,
āllahu ākbar, āllahu ākbar
الله اكبر الله اكبر
I assert that there is no god but God
āsh'hadu ān lā ilaha illā-llah
اشهد ان لا اله الا الله
I assert that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
āsh'hadu ānna mūhammadār rasūlu-llah
اشهد ان محهدا رسول الله
Come to the prayer
hayyā `alā-s-salah
حي على الصلوة
Come to salvation
hayyā `alā-l-falāh
حي على الفلا ح
God is Greatest, God is Greatest
āllahu ākbar, āllahu ākbar
الله اكبر الله اكبر
There is no god but God
lā ilaha illā-llah
لا اله الا الله
Source: "Adhan - Wikipedia"


Sources:
1  Esposito, John. 2002. “Ten Things Everyone Needs to Know About Islam” IN What Everyone Needs to Know About Islam.
2  “Meaning of the Adhan.” http://islam.about.com/cs/prayer/f/adhan_english.htm
3  “Prayers - The Manner of Performing Prayers.” http://www.islamicity.com/Mosque/salat.htm
4  “Islam – Wikipedia.” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam
5  “Adhan – Wikipedia.” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adhan

Notes:
[1]  Although I am not a Muslim, I feel that the prayer calls are a significant enough part of life here that I should address them. I do not profess a deep knowledge of Islam or of religious theology but, living in Jordan, I do hear the prayer calls every day and therefore feel that I can provide a concise discussion on the topic. I apologize in advance for any errors.
[2]  The Arabic word “Islam” literally means “submission” – although there is considerable discussion among theologians and academics about what submission implies. Being derived from the same root as the Arabic word Salam, meaning “peace,” many interpret the word Islam to refer to the serenity that is created by accepting the power and will of Allah (for further information, see source 4).
[3]  For more in depth information about the recitation of prayers, see source 3.
[4]  We had stopped to pick up some lebneh (Arabic yogurt) and the local cheese (which is entirely unique to the region and, I’ve been told, somewhat of an acquired taste). Even though I did not choose to enjoy the dairy products, I was glad that we supported the shop, as it was locally owned and family run - i.e. humane and sustainable.