Friday, February 11, 2005

Jet Lagged/Fun in Amman

So I tried to post a message yesterday from the internet cafe, but it didn't really work. Oops... Oh well. I'll give the just of it, and then add some more...

We got into Amman at 2:00 AM Jordan time on Tuesday morning. Jordan is 8 hours ahead of Beloit, WI (CST), to give you an idea of the time difference. We got in and got picked up to go to our hotel, the Howard Johnson :o) We've just been hanging out in Amman for a few days, to get acquainted and to do some business stuff with the Fullbright people. Its good, because it gives us a chance to get adjusted to our surroundings and the time difference. I started learning the alphabet, which is just really awesome. Its funny, because I'm like a kindergartener struggling through my words and sounds and stuff. But its cool.

I finally got to have a falafel sandwich for the first time since we’ve been here yesterday afternoon, and it was spectacular! It tasted just like I remembered from the lat time we were here (if you didn’t know, I went to Jordan for two weeks in the summer of 2001). I am absolutely sure that I am going to be in love with the food here. It’s all just so good. The food is such a major part of the culture, just like the coffee (Diggins...). Anytime you go to someone’s house they are either giving you coffee or encouraging you to eat. If it weren’t for running, I’d be sure to gain at least 10 pounds while we’re here!

We got to go to visit the family of my dad’s colleague (Onf) this afternoon, and they are super nice. We stayed with them last time we were here so we have a really good relationship with them; they’re just like family. Everyone is totally amazed that I am learning the language. I am making leaps and bounds, learning the sounding of the letters, and, with a few minutes, I can read most Arabic script words or sentences. I’ve just been spending my free time studying the alphabet and am working up to where I can learn some more phrases/words, so I can start talking in conversation.

After visiting Onf’s family and eating some food (fresh bread, olive oil and spices/makdoos [a popular eggplant dish]/frekkih [crushed wheat] soup) yesterday evening, we got some Amstel and came back to our hotel. Amstel is the local favorite among non-Muslims. There is a local Amstel brewery here in Jordan, so it is farily cheap; 1,2 JD for 630mL, which (in English terms) to my best calculations, is about $0.95/12oz worth. Its no Mountain Creek, but its refreshing, cool and its got 5% alc. Sweet...