Rap or rock?
Funny story:
The other day I met this group of guys who were really interested in talking to me about music, for whatever reason (maybe I exude an aura or something). So, the question was "do you like rap or rock?" Being as it was an either/or question, I naturally responded "rock."
At this response, they immediately asked me if I didn't like Eminem. I said, no, I don't. They were totally shocked... Then they rattled off all these names, like Dr. Dre, Tupac, etc. I was like, nope, nope, etc. Then, in an attempt to guess what rock bands I like, they asked me about Linkin Park and System of a Down. After realizing that this was the best I was going to get out of them, I said, yeah, they're fine. But, they just couldn't let it go that I don't like Eminem. One of the guys insisted on knowing why I don't like Eminem. I said that I thought it was childish and not that creative. So then they started asking me if I listen to pop music, like Britney Spears or the Backstreet Boys (who happen to be REALLY popular in Jordan among kids my age right now, for some reason). I just shrugged it off and said, yeah, sometimes. I think after that we just agreed to disagree (luckily I was getting a phone call, so I had an excuse to end the conversation).
This pretty much sums up the music scene here for Jordanians. The American music they are exposed to is pure shit. Its really a shame, too, because they see Eminem and think that that is American. Its really stressful for me, because they have no basis to grasp the diversity and creativity that some (many) American musicians make, and so I strain myself to come up with sufficient answers to questions like that one.
I suppose that when I go in cars with people and they ask whether I want to listen to American or Arabic music I just need to keep saying Arabic. I think that it surprises them that I'd rather listen to Arabic music (just like I'd rather eat traditional Jordanian food, as opposed to McDonalds, "QuickBurger," etc.). At least the Arabic music has some feel to it (think the latest Black Eyes album, without the LSD and with an occasional steady beat).
They all think I'm natively from Palestine anyways, so whatever...
Maybe I'll try to set up some sort of music exchange for Jordanians to send us some true Jordanian music, and we can send them GOOD American music. Mhmm, that's a good idea. I'd better get to work...
The other day I met this group of guys who were really interested in talking to me about music, for whatever reason (maybe I exude an aura or something). So, the question was "do you like rap or rock?" Being as it was an either/or question, I naturally responded "rock."
At this response, they immediately asked me if I didn't like Eminem. I said, no, I don't. They were totally shocked... Then they rattled off all these names, like Dr. Dre, Tupac, etc. I was like, nope, nope, etc. Then, in an attempt to guess what rock bands I like, they asked me about Linkin Park and System of a Down. After realizing that this was the best I was going to get out of them, I said, yeah, they're fine. But, they just couldn't let it go that I don't like Eminem. One of the guys insisted on knowing why I don't like Eminem. I said that I thought it was childish and not that creative. So then they started asking me if I listen to pop music, like Britney Spears or the Backstreet Boys (who happen to be REALLY popular in Jordan among kids my age right now, for some reason). I just shrugged it off and said, yeah, sometimes. I think after that we just agreed to disagree (luckily I was getting a phone call, so I had an excuse to end the conversation).
This pretty much sums up the music scene here for Jordanians. The American music they are exposed to is pure shit. Its really a shame, too, because they see Eminem and think that that is American. Its really stressful for me, because they have no basis to grasp the diversity and creativity that some (many) American musicians make, and so I strain myself to come up with sufficient answers to questions like that one.
I suppose that when I go in cars with people and they ask whether I want to listen to American or Arabic music I just need to keep saying Arabic. I think that it surprises them that I'd rather listen to Arabic music (just like I'd rather eat traditional Jordanian food, as opposed to McDonalds, "QuickBurger," etc.). At least the Arabic music has some feel to it (think the latest Black Eyes album, without the LSD and with an occasional steady beat).
They all think I'm natively from Palestine anyways, so whatever...
Maybe I'll try to set up some sort of music exchange for Jordanians to send us some true Jordanian music, and we can send them GOOD American music. Mhmm, that's a good idea. I'd better get to work...




