Jog Blog
Jogging this morning (6:34AM+/-), it was the nicest it's been for about a week here. It had been really windy and cloudy, with some showers, all week, but today was something special. The sun was out from the beginning. As I was making my way around my first 3K loop, I approached the Mosque by the main University entrance. Right beside the Mosque is an electronic clock/temp. sign like the ones that you find at a bank (no implied association, just a similie for understanding).
I always check and see the temprature every morning, and then take some time to convert it from Celsius as a short diversion (yeah, it takes me some time, although I'm getting faster. I also like reading the Arabic on the signs and buildings to keep my mind busy). Before I checked the readout, I glanced at my watch to get my time. Lo and behold, at that very moment, I had run 11:11. I then looked up and was delighted to see that it was 11C. As if having a beautiful morning wasn't enough. I was invigorated to push my way up the subsequent hill as I closed in on my first loop.
Finishing out with a cool 8K, I felt refreshed and ready to tackle some LSD tomorrow.
On Tuesday there was a cool article in the Jordan Times. Having a fit about being physically fit. Again, I'll profess my seemingly unendless love of the Jordan Times. It is just a cool newspaper.
Some quick facts and figures about Jordanian health (from the above article):
• According to a self-report data, 30 per cent of Jordanians are current smokers, with a much higher percentage of men smoking than women. (Behaviour Risk Factor Surveillance, 2002)
• 22 per cent of the population 18 to 65+ has high blood pressure.
• According [to] 1995 data from the World Health Organisation (WHO), 78 per cent of children have dental ca[vit]ies by age 6 and 92 per cent have them by age 15. (Mouth and Dental Diseases Survey MOH & WHO, 1995).
This afternoon we're going to one of my dad's colleague's house for lunch. Most Jordanians eat their main, big meal with their family sometime in the early afternoon, and then just grab a quick snack later in the evening at like 9 or something. It takes a little bit of getting used to, but my eating schedule has not really been that consistent since we've been here anyways.
Maybe tomorrow I'll have some pictures. Or, then again, maybe not.
I always check and see the temprature every morning, and then take some time to convert it from Celsius as a short diversion (yeah, it takes me some time, although I'm getting faster. I also like reading the Arabic on the signs and buildings to keep my mind busy). Before I checked the readout, I glanced at my watch to get my time. Lo and behold, at that very moment, I had run 11:11. I then looked up and was delighted to see that it was 11C. As if having a beautiful morning wasn't enough. I was invigorated to push my way up the subsequent hill as I closed in on my first loop.
Finishing out with a cool 8K, I felt refreshed and ready to tackle some LSD tomorrow.
On Tuesday there was a cool article in the Jordan Times. Having a fit about being physically fit. Again, I'll profess my seemingly unendless love of the Jordan Times. It is just a cool newspaper.
Some quick facts and figures about Jordanian health (from the above article):
• According to a self-report data, 30 per cent of Jordanians are current smokers, with a much higher percentage of men smoking than women. (Behaviour Risk Factor Surveillance, 2002)
• 22 per cent of the population 18 to 65+ has high blood pressure.
• According [to] 1995 data from the World Health Organisation (WHO), 78 per cent of children have dental ca[vit]ies by age 6 and 92 per cent have them by age 15. (Mouth and Dental Diseases Survey MOH & WHO, 1995).
This afternoon we're going to one of my dad's colleague's house for lunch. Most Jordanians eat their main, big meal with their family sometime in the early afternoon, and then just grab a quick snack later in the evening at like 9 or something. It takes a little bit of getting used to, but my eating schedule has not really been that consistent since we've been here anyways.
Maybe tomorrow I'll have some pictures. Or, then again, maybe not.




