Belated Update
Things are happening and I haven't written anything for the past few days...
Anyways. We met a really cool couple the other day. Reid goes to the Sports Center like 4 days a week to ride the bicycle and to lift weights. I guess people come in and talk to him sometimes when he works out (because he's American, and because he's willingly working out) and a few days ago one of the professors came to introduce himself. They just moved here and he's married to a French woman who wanted to meet my mom. So they met each other and are starting to do things together.
Last night we went to their house for dinner and to visit. They are really nice. The husband is a professor in the Physical Education department, and he's trying to get students from Mu'tah to get involved in the Dead Sea Ultra Marathon. Of course, no one here runs. I think he's trying to get like 50 students to do the 10K. But, anyways, it sounds like I'm going to do the Half-marathon. He's a runner, so he's really excited that I run and that I want to do it. Its going to be sweet. It costs 10JD (like $14) to register, which is a steal. 12th Dead Sea Ultra Marathon slated for April 15 (Jordan Times, March 20, 2005).
So, I need to step up my training a little bit. I've been slacking some, taking some days off and running shorter on others. Hopefully this'll get me in gear.
I'm getting more comfortable at the University. I met a guy who is really fluent in English. He lived in England for like 2 years, and so he speaks really well and has a good grasp on Westerners - as opposed to most Jordanians - which makes him easier to be with. The English (Literature) majors at the University are cool too. They're (of course) nice and are fun to talk with also. I've been spending so much time visiting people and just walking around, talking, playing WAY too much pool and generally wasting my time that I haven't really gotten alot done in the past two weeks or so. Its kind of frustrating.
I'm struggling to get some research started. I've got somewhat of a plan going, but it just takes sooo long to get organized here. I hope to be able to get some interviews with people and stuff before too long here. I also REALLY wish I could start getting out and taking more pictures. I need to start documenting stuff and making a collection. Digital cameras are so bad-ass, but I'm not taking advantage of my full resources.
I'm so pissed about all the sweet stuff that I'm missing at Beloit. I'm getting all these announcement e-mails about all kinds of fun things that I wish I could go to. IM Soccer, presentations, etc. Its amazing how awesome all those stuff are, despite the fact that when we're immersed with it we take it so much for granted and don't do it, for whatever reasons. Alas...
In other news, our hot water machine broke yesterday. I got a shower after I ran, and it was super hot but, apparently, it didn't work later that morning. There've been allegations flying, but I had nothing to do with it... We're getting it checked on today, but I was lucky enough to have a cold shower this morning after going jogging. I must say, they're quite invigorating.
Anyways. We met a really cool couple the other day. Reid goes to the Sports Center like 4 days a week to ride the bicycle and to lift weights. I guess people come in and talk to him sometimes when he works out (because he's American, and because he's willingly working out) and a few days ago one of the professors came to introduce himself. They just moved here and he's married to a French woman who wanted to meet my mom. So they met each other and are starting to do things together.
Last night we went to their house for dinner and to visit. They are really nice. The husband is a professor in the Physical Education department, and he's trying to get students from Mu'tah to get involved in the Dead Sea Ultra Marathon. Of course, no one here runs. I think he's trying to get like 50 students to do the 10K. But, anyways, it sounds like I'm going to do the Half-marathon. He's a runner, so he's really excited that I run and that I want to do it. Its going to be sweet. It costs 10JD (like $14) to register, which is a steal. 12th Dead Sea Ultra Marathon slated for April 15 (Jordan Times, March 20, 2005).
So, I need to step up my training a little bit. I've been slacking some, taking some days off and running shorter on others. Hopefully this'll get me in gear.
I'm getting more comfortable at the University. I met a guy who is really fluent in English. He lived in England for like 2 years, and so he speaks really well and has a good grasp on Westerners - as opposed to most Jordanians - which makes him easier to be with. The English (Literature) majors at the University are cool too. They're (of course) nice and are fun to talk with also. I've been spending so much time visiting people and just walking around, talking, playing WAY too much pool and generally wasting my time that I haven't really gotten alot done in the past two weeks or so. Its kind of frustrating.
I'm struggling to get some research started. I've got somewhat of a plan going, but it just takes sooo long to get organized here. I hope to be able to get some interviews with people and stuff before too long here. I also REALLY wish I could start getting out and taking more pictures. I need to start documenting stuff and making a collection. Digital cameras are so bad-ass, but I'm not taking advantage of my full resources.
I'm so pissed about all the sweet stuff that I'm missing at Beloit. I'm getting all these announcement e-mails about all kinds of fun things that I wish I could go to. IM Soccer, presentations, etc. Its amazing how awesome all those stuff are, despite the fact that when we're immersed with it we take it so much for granted and don't do it, for whatever reasons. Alas...
In other news, our hot water machine broke yesterday. I got a shower after I ran, and it was super hot but, apparently, it didn't work later that morning. There've been allegations flying, but I had nothing to do with it... We're getting it checked on today, but I was lucky enough to have a cold shower this morning after going jogging. I must say, they're quite invigorating.




