Snooker!
Have you heard of this game?! Its crazy. I think that its really popular in England. There's been a big tournament on the EuroSport TV channel that we were watching. It is similar to billiards, but it has different rules. It's on a bigger table, and there are different balls. There are 12 red balls, and 6 colored balls that have different points. Its more refined and gentleman-ly, and alot harder, than regular pool. You can check more about it here.
Anyways, we were talking about it on Sunday night when we went out to dinner, and their son, Omar (he's 19), was telling us about how he plays it with his friends. He invited us to come with him and play. So, Monday night my brother and I went with him to a nearby town (Merj). There is a pool place right here outside of the university gates, but the place in Merj is a little bit nicer, and alot less smoky, which is always good.
It was intense. Of course, I'm not very good at pool to begin with, and so it was a little rough at the beginning, but my shots got progressively better. We played like 2 full games, which is pretty insane. But it was a pretty good time. Apparently, pool is pretty popular here, which I guess is because there isn't alot of other things to do besides just walking around, studying or hanging out.
I have a feeling that I'm going to be playing alot of it if I keep hanging out with Omar and his friends, for better or worse. At least now I am starting to understand why adults would want kids to "stay away from the pool halls"... if you keep going, you won't get anything done, ever.
It was intense. Of course, I'm not very good at pool to begin with, and so it was a little rough at the beginning, but my shots got progressively better. We played like 2 full games, which is pretty insane. But it was a pretty good time. Apparently, pool is pretty popular here, which I guess is because there isn't alot of other things to do besides just walking around, studying or hanging out.
I have a feeling that I'm going to be playing alot of it if I keep hanging out with Omar and his friends, for better or worse. At least now I am starting to understand why adults would want kids to "stay away from the pool halls"... if you keep going, you won't get anything done, ever.




